What are cookies and why we use them in MCT websites
A cookie is a file that is downloaded to the user device when accessing certain websites to store and retrieve information about browsing performed on said devices.
Among other things, cookies enable the website to store and retrieve information about the user’s decisions and habits. At MCT, we use them to customize users’ experience in our website, identify and remember them and make browsing easier.
It is important to mention that using cookies does not provide personal data on the user, who remains anonymous to MCT.
You can learn more about what cookies are and how they work on Wikipedia (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_(informática)).
WHAT TYPE OF COOKIES DOES MCT WEBSITE USE
Based on their duration, cookies can be divided in session cookies or persistent cookies. The former expire when the user closes the browser. The latter expire when the purpose for which they were created is fulfilled (for example, for identification of users while visiting MCT website and services) or when they are manually deleted.
Furthermore, based on their purpose, cookies may be classified as follows:
Technical cookies: These are first-party, temporary cookies that, in this particular case, allow the browser to remember certain aspects, such as the language selected when visiting the website, as well as see the cookie bar based on whether the terms have been accepted or not.
Personalization cookies: These are first-party, temporary cookies that are generated when users register or log back in at a later time, and are used to identify what pages you have visited and what services you have used with the following aims:
- Keep users logged in so, if they close a service or page, the browser or computer and access the service or page again at another time or another day, they will remain logged in, thus making their browsing easier without having to log in again. This functionality can be deleted if the user clicks on “Log out,” therefore deleting this cookie, and the next time he/she accesses the website, they will have to log in to be identified.
- Check whether users are authorized to access certain services like, for instance, to enter a contest.
Analytics cookies: Each time a user visits a website or service, an external provider’s tool (Google Analytics and the like) generates a temporary analytics cookie on the user’s device, which may be your own or of a third party. This cookie that is only generated during the visit will be used in future visits to MCT services to identify visitors anonymously. The main objectives of these cookies are the following:
- Allow users who are browsing to be identified anonymously through the “Cookie” (it identifies browsers and devices, not people) and therefore have an approximate idea of the number of visitors and how this develops over time.
- Anonymously identify the most visited contents and therefore the most appealing to users.
- Find out whether the user is accessing the site for the first time or is a repeat visitor.
Important: Unless the user decides to register in any MCT website, the cookie will never be associated with any personal data that can identify him/her. These cookies will only be used for statistical purposes to help optimize the user experience on the site.
Other Google cookies: Google uses other third-party cookies for the proper functioning of modules such as Google Maps and, eventually, Google Calendar.
All the information concerning Google cookies, whether analytics or other, as well as its management and configuration can be found at:
HOW TO DISABLE COOKIES IN YOUR BROWSER
Currently, most browsers allow the user to configure whether they wish to accept cookies or not, and which ones. These settings are usually under the “Options” or “Preferences” menu in your browser.
The instructions to configure cookies in the main browsers are as follows:
- Google Chrome:Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy and security -> Content settings. For more information, you can visit Google’s support or the browser’s Help.
- Mozilla Firefox:Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History -> Personalized settings. For more information, you can visit Mozilla’s support or the browser’s Help.
- Internet Explorer:Tools -> Internet options -> Privacy -> Settings. For more information, you can visit Microsoft’s support or the browser’s Help.
- Apple Safari:Preferences -> Security. For more information, you can visit Apple’s support or the browser’s Help.
If you decide to disable cookies, we won’t be able to offer you any of the web’s functionalities.
MCT cookies can be updated, so we advise you to check our policy periodically.